Saturday, May 06, 2006

Godlike

En Esch in the flesh. Caught the Slick Idiot show tonight. It was quite a treat. I don't think too many people were hip to them because the crowd was meager at best, there was perhaps only about three crowded rows worth up at front and sparse people standing around behind us. No worries though because I was so close to En Esch I could punch him. The great thing about the 'cross pollination' of all these industrial rock bands is that they all do each others songs. 'Cross Pollination' is that phenomenon of industrial rock bands that seemingly everybody is a member of everybody else's band. And it pays off when En Esch, lead singer for many a'song in Industrial Rock God's KMFDM, decides to treat the crowd with KMFDM singles.

It reminds me of an Ohgr show I went to in Tempe years ago. We were all crossing our fingers that they would play some Skinny Puppy tracks, but come on, I thought, they are promoting Ohgr, not Skinny Puppy. (As a side note, my best friend, Ivan, got Nivek Ogre's autograph on a poster that night which he signed "Ogre, I am Dead.") My point is that many of these side projects can probably make use of singing original band material, because it does wonders for firing up the audience. Slick has some fantastic tracks, but after playing "A Drug Against War," a KMFDM track, they totally galvanized the audience. The crudest piece of shit song would have been pure gold after playing that track.

So, very much in line with the other industrial shows these guys do tonight's show was a thumbs up.